Monday, January 17, 2011

Snow Daze

The snow came down, and that apparently made for plenty of opportunities to drink. It's been a big week, with ten new beers to the list in five days. I'm not yet sure how I'm going to tackle writing about all of them, so when in doubt, start from the beginning.

The anticipation of snow and a day off from work suddenly freed up my Tuesday night for beer drinking. We made a trip to Plough and Stars in Central Square, Cambridge I drank two beers here, Butternuts Pork Slap Ale and Cisco Whale's Tale Pale Ale. Previously, the selling point of these beers had been that they're both sold in cans at my local liquor store. I guess they just lost some of the appeal on draft. 

On the way home from the bar, I swung by the closest liquor store and picked up a six pack of beer with a mermaid on it, Cisco Grey Lady Ale, for the next day. I'm not sure why this is called an ale when it's obviously a Witbeer. It would have probably been better suited for a day at the beach than a snow day, but I guess that's what I get for picking beer based on its bottle art.

Try not to be distracted by how awesome our knife block is.
Back to the grind on Thursday, group of co-workers decided that feeling like it was a Monday and a Thursday was an event worth drinking to (can't argue with that logic), so we ventured The Lower Depths in Kenmore Square, where they specialize in beer, tater tots, hot dogs, and happiness. First beer up was Boulder Flashback Ale, a pretty solid brown ale with nice hop character. After lamenting over the beer list for far too long, I asked the waitress to surprise me and she brought Southern Tier Phin & Matt's Extraordinary Ale, which didn't live up to its name.

Friday brought three more beers, starting with two personal favorites: Stone Arrogant Bastard (because you are what you drink) and Ipswich IPA. Third beer of the night was Belhaven Scottish Ale, which I found to be borderline undrinkable. I knocked off four more beers on Saturday, starting by finally getting my Sierra Nevada Celebration. Next up was Otter Creek Alpine Black IPA, then a Samuel Adams Boston Lager. Last and very much least, beer number twenty three for the year was a Bud Light. It was only a matter of time before a light beer snuck its way into this blog.


Beers Down: 23
Beers To Go: 342

4 comments:

  1. That is, indeed, an awesome knife block, Sarah. I've been intending to spring for a good one for, oh, about 30 years now, and have made do with cheapos we keep buying at Hannaford or Marden's.

    My biggest reservation about spending a lot of money is that every knife block I've had gets chewed up by the knives (maybe because they're cheap).

    Which one do you have, and are you happy with it?

    On the beer front: I was able to drink three during yesterday's Pat's game — only because they were Mich Lights. They went down like water....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the beer blog!!! I'm going to have to try the beers you recommend!! :) Nice job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa - The block and, more importantly, the knives in it was our Christmas present from my mom and Charlie. It's the Calphalon Contemporary 21 piece set and it rocks!

    Stephanie - Thanks for checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You found Belhaven Scottish undrinkable? Really? I drink it all the time with a high degree of success. How strange!

    ReplyDelete