Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Balancing Act

This weekend seemed to become all about balancing the responsibilities that I understand should come with adulthood while doing things that are actually fun. I did productive adult things like go to the bank, do yoga, and watch Aaron file our taxes. I also did awesome things like watch football, shoot aliens with rocket launchers, and drink twelve new beers.

Friday I got promoted at work. Yay! I wrangled up a ragtag group of about a dozen coworkers and their partners for beers and half price food (because I do still work at a non-profit after all) at Grendel's Den. I tried to mix it up and drink a variety of beer styles, and ended up with four pretty solid brews. First and best beer of the night was the supper hopped and super tasty Avery DuganA IPA. Paulaner Hefe-Weisbier Naturtub and Left Hand Milk Stout followed and the cleverly named Blue Point Hoptical Illusion finished out the evening.

Breakfast of champions.
The next morning, feeling pretty proud of myself for finally committing to opening a joint bank account with my husband of nearly three years, I decided brunch was deserved. What followed is probably what my last meal would look like. I had biscuits and gravy with two fried eggs, paired with a Jolly Pumpkin Maracaibo Especial. Described on the menu as a "Belgian style dark ale brewed with wild yeast, cacao beans, cinnamon and orange peel," this beer was tart, spicy and kind of funky (in the good way). A good choice for brunch.

I want to be these guys
when I grow up.
The rest of the weekend brought not one, but two of my most favorite local beers. But first it brought a Widmer Drifter Pale Ale, easily the most fruity pale ale I've ever tasted. Is it supposed to taste like grapefruit? Oh well. Most favorite local beer number one was Smuttynose IPA. Aside from being a world-class IPA that happens to be brewed in my home state, this beer has the distinction of having my all time favorite bottle design. Sunday I bought myself a six-pack of most favorite local beer number two, Ipswich Original Ale. This beer is everything that an ale should be. Period.

Aaron scored a mixed 12-pack of Peak Organic beers for only $9.99, so Peak Organic Summer Session, Nut Brown Ale, Pale Ale, and IPA became beer numbers 36 through 39. The hippie in me really wants to love an organic beer, but everything I've had from Peak has been wholly underwhelming. I'm sure it didn't help that the awesomely priced beer was three months past the best by date. So much for that fiscally responsible decision.

Beers Down: 39
Beers To Go: 326

No comments:

Post a Comment