Monday, January 10, 2011

First Draft

Before we get on to the beer, I want to express my thanks to everyone who expressed their support after my first post. Your compliments and expectations of humor make me nervous, but I'm going to work through it.

Last Friday finally brought the opportunity to add some draft beer to this list with an after work trip to the Common Ground in L.A. (that's Lower Allston, for those fortunate enough to not be hip to the Boston college scene) with my dear friend and enabler Sam Charm. Sierra Nevada Celebration was on the draft list and I thought, "I'll celebrate the first draft of '11 with a Celebration; it'll be a great gimmick for the blog!"

Of course, they were out. But you still get an idea of how great it could have been.

First draft of 2011: Not a Celebration.

After unsuccessfully trying to solicit a recommendation from a bartender who told me that he chose every beer on the list himself and therefore they're all good (so what's Miller Lite doing here?), I started with a Port Brewing Wipeout IPA. This west coast style IPA is surprisingly drinkable. I would have happily had a few more of these if I weren't on a mission.

I remember thinking the second beer of the outing, Grand Teton Bitch Creek ESB, was pretty good, but sandwiched between two stronger beers, nothing about it sticks in my memory as particularly exceptional. Note to self: start recording notes to self when drinking multiple beers.

Old standby Allagash White rounded out the night.  There's not much to say about this beer that hasn't been said before. It's a classic.

No new brews over the weekend, but I have been finishing up six packs of beers previously mentioned (lest you think I wasn't drinking beer). Tentative plan is to hit the liquor store tomorrow in preparation for the impending nor'easter and hope to get snowed in.

Beers Down: 11
Beers To Go: 354

No comments:

Post a Comment