Tuesday, March 22, 2011

100!

When the last post ended with 95 beers down, I decided that hitting beer number 100 was going to be a Big F-ing Deal (kind of like health care reform). I might have overthought it.

The quest for 100 began at Deep Ellum, with brunch and Brassiere de Blaugies Biere Darbyste, a Belgian pale ale brewed with figs. Then two days later it brought me back to Deep Ellum for Cambridge Brewing Company's Mind Left Body. Consumed in the midst of three cocktails, my memory of this beer was a bit hazy. Fortunately, I tried this again a few days later and can confidently report that this session IPA is exactly what it intends to be: hoppy, kind of funky and very drinkable. Another beer that I look forward to drinking in warmer weather. A six pack of Stone Pale Ale carried me through the week while I avoided making the increasingly important decision of which beers to drink next.

100: Banryu Ichi
Deciding it was time to hit the milestone, I dragged Casey out (to Deep Ellum, of course) under the guise of "doing research for the blogs" because apparently it's frowned upon to drink alone. I asked for the hoppiest beer on tap and got a Port Hop 15. I then spent a good twenty minutes stressing over the menu, trying to determine which beer was worthy of being number 100, eventually panicking and ordering another Mind Left Body, postponing the decision for another day.

I decided Cambridge Brewing Company, where they always seem to be doing small batches of funky beers, was the new place to hit number 100, and that Banryu Ichi, an experimental beer/sake hybrid (the only of its kind, according to the brewers), was to have the honor. While I appreciate the creative energy that went into this creation, and the fact that the sake cup made for a pretty picture, I'm not sure beer and sake were meant to be together. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good. It didn't taste much like anything, really. Oh well. Still feeling experimental, I ordered an aggressively sour Resolution #9. Eventually I reverted to what I know I like and ordered a Tall Tale Pale Ale, which was extra delicious on cask.

I hit 100! (And then a few.) Cheers! Here's a celebratory picture. (My dad told me to post it here).

I haven't changed much in the past 24 years.
Beers Down: 102
Beers To Go: 263

No comments:

Post a Comment